Graduating from Cambridge University with a degree in Natural Sciences, and with a PhD in Geophysics. Steven began his Barclays career twenty seven years ago. Over this time he has held a variety of roles in Operations and Change across a range of business and support areas. His positions have included; Head of Risk, Head of Strategy and Planning, Head of Change, Chief Operating Officer for the UK Retail Bank, and most recently Strategic Transformation Director and now Chief Scientific Adviser and vice chair Barclays UK. Most recently, Steven joined the newly formed BUK Ventures team. Steven is a visiting professor of Technology, Behaviours and Information Strategy at Huddersfield University.
Over the last seven years Steven created and led the Strategic Transformation team which had a wide ranging remit to drive cultural and digital transformation across the Bank. Initiatives have included;
- The Digital Eagles (creating over 30, 000 volunteers across the UK, Europe and Africa.) supporting communities in getting digital skills.
- Pioneered the use of technology across our branch network and operational centres. Delivered free wifi across the branch network, available for anyone to use. The first Bank in the UK.
- Deployed 20, 000 Ipads to enable colleagues to service customers where and what they want.
- Innovation has not come at the cost of customer accessibility as Steven’s team has overseen many initiatives that improve the way that customers can interact with Barclays. These include; talking ATMs; SignVideo, a technology that connects customers to British Sign Language interpreters in branch or at home and Barclays “Age Suit” which was developed for colleagues and customers to better understand the challenges faced by older customers with issues such as arthiritis, poor eye sight and general mobility issues.
- Over the last two years he has overseen the launch of Barclays Eagle Labs, pioneering the reuse of branch and corporate space offering access to resources such as 3D printers and laser cutters as well as training sessions and meeting space to benefit individuals, schools, community groups and high growth businesses. There are now 15 Eagle Labs across the UK with more than 20 planned by end of 2017.
- Steven’s team has also been at the forefront of several industry leading initiatives, including driving forward transformation of cheque processing leading the cheque image Programme and lobbying government to change legislation to enable this.
- The development and deployment of the “Digital Driving Licence”, now used by almost 100, 000 colleagues and individuals inside and outside Barclays.
- More recently the team has also been leading the work to consider how Barclays best deploys Artificial Intelligence in a way that works best for customers, colleagues and the business.
In his new role in Barclays UK Ventures, Steven has a wide ranging role to support the team in identifying and executing the opportunities to drive new revenue and business lines for the Bank.
Steven lives with his wife Caroline in West London. They have four boys aged 19-26.