Who is eligible to participate in StartMIT?
Any current student who is curious about entrepreneurship and is looking for an introduction to the skill set and spirit it requires. This is inclusive of undergraduate students, graduate students, and post-docs.
Can I apply if I am not currently enrolled at MIT?
Yes. We will consider non-MIT students if space permits.
Do I have to have a startup idea to participate?
StartMIT is meant for anyone that is curious to learn more about entrepreneurship in general. Whether you are just curious or have an idea and are ready to go, this course will allow further exploration. Whether you wish to utilize an entrepreneurial skill set to be a founder, work in a lab, invest, pursue a side project, or dive into the corporate world, we believe this course will be beneficial in each of those pursuits and welcome you all!
What are the logistics of StartMIT?
- StartMIT is a two-and-a-half-week course that takes place on weekdays during IAP every January.
- The day begins at 9:15 am, typically includes talks and workshops, a one-hour break for lunch, and concludes by 4:00 pm.
- StartMIT will now be held virtually due to the Omicron variant as opposed to in person on campus
- For those on campus who wish to meet with their team mates in person (usually 2:00 – 4:00 pm), there are classrooms reserved for StartMIT (in Building 1, details to be revealed during the first class session)
- Students will be required to follow all safety and social distancing requirements as per MIT guidelines.
- This is subject to change if MIT policies also change.
- DUE TO COVID the New York field trip is not scheduled for 2022
What can I expect to learn and who can I expect to hear from?
We will give you a crash course in entrepreneurship, including an introduction to the skill set and spirit it requires. We hope that by the end of the course you’ll have a better understanding of your desired entrepreneurial path, and also the resources available to support you in that journey at MIT and beyond.
You’ll hear from a large number of both faculty and practitioners from the Boston ecosystem and beyond.
Can I take this course for credit?
Yes, but it is not required.
What is my mentor for?
All full-time participants will be eligible to be matched with a mentor based on your industry or field of interest. A mentor’s role is to guide you through the course: to answer questions that arise during your time in StartMIT, and provide feedback on any entrepreneurial idea you want to pursue. Mentors will make themselves available up to three times throughout the course of the program (either in person or remotely).
What is the application deadline?
See above for the calendar. Deadline for 2022 is Sunday, November 21 at 11:59pm.
When will I know if I’m accepted into the program?
We aim to inform students of their acceptance status no later than December 1st.
StartMIT sounds awesome! Where can I apply?
Applications open November 1st on our Orbit platform.
I have more questions. Who can I contact?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org