A sister program of MIT delta v, MIT’s student venture accelerator, the MIT NYC Summer Startup Studio provides a capstone educational opportunity for MIT student entrepreneurs that prepares them to hit escape velocity and launch into the real world. Student startup teams work on their businesses full-time from June to August, receiving a rigorous educational and mentorship-based accelerator experience.
New York was selected as the first beachhead to expand MIT delta v because of its vibrant community of specific industries such as FinTech, real estate, enterprise tech, media & advertising, and publishing. Led by NYC Managing Director Carly Chase, teams have access to New York-based industry leaders and mentors and the prospect to be fully immersed in the city’s entrepreneurial and technology communities, including off-site visits to leading venture capital firms and incubators plus opportunities to listen and learn from inspiring speakers on relevant startup topics. In addition, Bill Aulet and the Trust Center Entrepreneurs-in-Residence regularly visit the cohort at its home in SoHo, Two Sigma Ventures, who generously donates space and resources to house the teams.
MIT NYC Summer Startup Studio Logistics
- 12 weeks
- MIT student led startups focused in the industry verticals NYC leads in including: FinTech, Real Estate Tech, Fashion Tech, Creative Arts, Media, AdTech
- Equity-free program
- Free, prime office space at Two Sigma Ventures in SoHo
- Resources including 1 on 1 mentors, mock board of directors, speakers series, skill based experts
- Cohort of peers
- $2,000 monthly fellowships from the Goss Foundation for current MIT students
- Teams are eligible to earn up to $20,000 in equity-free funding
- Full immersion into the NYC ecosystem
Why New York City?
- Access to startup ecosystems NYC leads in, including: FinTech, Real Estate Tech, Fashion Tech, Creative Arts, Ad Tech, Media
- Robust corporate ecosystem; home to more Fortune 500 companies than any other U.S. city (e.g., JPMorgan Chase, American Express, Time Warner, Viacom, Ralph Lauren)
- Support of MIT alumni (10,000+) in the NYC area
- Second largest VC market in the US