In 2017, the MIT NYC Startup Studio became the second location of the MIT delta v summer accelerator. We expanded in recognition of the important role the New York entrepreneurial community can play in fostering student ventures into successful companies, especially in certain vertical industries.
Led by founding Managing Director Carly Chase, the NYC Startup Studio has provided a summer home to numerous student teams launching businesses in areas such as real estate, beauty, consumer tech, fashion, fintech, and media. These teams have taken full advantage of New York’s unique entrepreneurial community in these industries.
In 2023, we will be returning to NYC with a brand new director of the program. Details to be announced shortly.
Why New York City?
- Access to startup ecosystems NYC leads in, including: FinTech, Real Estate Tech, Fashion Tech, Creative Arts, Ad Tech, Media
- Robust corporate ecosystem; home to more Fortune 500 companies than any other U.S. city (e.g., JPMorgan Chase, American Express, Time Warner, Viacom, Ralph Lauren)
- Support of MIT alumni (10,000+) in the NYC area
- Second largest VC market in the US
MIT NYC Startup Studio Logistics
- Beginning of June through the end of August
- MIT student led startups focused in the industry verticals NYC leads in including: FinTech, Real Estate Tech, Fashion Tech, Creative Arts, Media, AdTech
- Equity-free program
- Free, prime office space in New York City
- Resources including 1-on-1 mentors, mock board of directors, speakers series, skill based experts
- Cohort of peers
- $2,000 monthly fellowships for current MIT students
- Teams are eligible to earn up to $20,000 in equity-free funding
- Full immersion into the NYC ecosystem